Review: The Secret That Killed You by Steve Hadden

The Secret That Killed You The Secret That Killed You by Steve Hadden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 stars rather than 4.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for this review copy. This review is based on my reading this book and is my honest feedback on the story.

I have identified Steve as an author whose books I will look forward to. This is my first Steve Hadden book as I sift through new books and new authors to uncover new ones. I have a tremendous love for thrillers and this book is right up there with the best.

The story ticks off many key elements from Nazis, Hitler, American Presidents, the Oval office, conspiracy theories and a protagonist who delivers alongside a true American patriot.

The story starts off innocuously with a discovery of a sunken strongbox by Amelia whose company or family's company is in the business of oil exploration and deep sea drilling. Amelia a former Air force veteran has a strong affinity with historical artefacts and keeps an eye out for them. She shares the discovery with a close family member and inadvertently paints a target on the backs of her entire family. People around her start dying and a noose starts to tighten with ties at the highest levels. Grudgingly accepting that she is in deep water and way above her ability she asks for help and in comes Ike Rossi, a PI who has worked for her friends and who has his own immense baggage both historical and family that seem to limit and dictate his actions. Together the duo try to unravel the complicated knot and this forms the rest of the story.

The story has some shades of Archangel by Robert Harris and some other stories that I have read but has a fresh take which makes it an interesting reading.
My primary complaint was the initial quarter of the book that had so many references to the first book of the series that I almost put off this volume because I was feeling disconnected and in the dark. This part could put off readers who have not read the previous adventure. Once that part is over the rest of the story moves at a steady pace and the reader enjoys the journey. ( I for one have procured the first volume while reading this story).

This could have been a 5 star read for me but Steve you've earned a fan. :)

Recommended.


View all my reviews

⭐⭐⭐ Stars

Recommended


Please do not forget to post your comments. I am an equal opportunity person so would love to hear your love or your hate for the review or book in any order. Please write what you did not like or whether the book was an absolute disaster for you and why.


You can also write to firstsutraindia@gmail.com


Goodreads Review here -

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/6853394653

Amazon Review here -

https://www.amazon.in/


Or my Social Media Handle @BookishDramas on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook. Links are given below -


https://twitter.com/bookishdramas

https://www.instagram.com/bookishdramas/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100088404892842

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

James Bond 007, Vol. 1 by Greg Pak

Hell Moon (Xeno-Spectre Book 1) by Mary E. Lowd ARC from BookSirens

Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - Review on NetGalley